Friday 28 January 2011

New Year, New Stuff!

OK, so is has been a criminal amount of time since I have written for my Blog and seeing as I am an aspiring fashion journalist, this just isn't on! Turning 20 last weekend has made me seriously get real about my future and where I am going. Not writing about fashion is not going to get me where I want to be.

So my excuses?

I have spend the last few months figuring out my Bourne identity. I am now half way through my first year at Bournemouth University studying Multimedia Journalism, conducting a variety of interviews, including talking to Elle magazines features director, struggled to find an original news story, reviewed Tinie Tempah, got to unit 25 of Teeline shorthand for journalists and completed a number of uncreative law and theory assignments.

During the Christmas holidays I became very frustrated with my work, writing instead about Naomi Campbell's drug addiction intrusion rather than the clothes draped around her. I had such a craving to write fashion, that I am now trying to balance writing what I want to write about with my assignments. Although, sometimes the two converge easily. Today I compiled a historical timeline and key moments of the high heel during an online journalism seminar.

So being my birthday not so long ago, a lot of new items have entered my life.


My lovely friend brought me these two exciting magazines, Lula and Oh Comely, which I am sure I will devour quickly. It will be a good change from my Vogue stubbornness. Although, another problem with my university life is that it caps the time spent on not only writing, but unfortunately reading aswell. Over my first term at Bournemouth, my Vogue pile grew to an embarrassing height, October, November, December and January waited. I have now got it down to only January, but with February's presence close. I will make sure I allow time to read these two beauties though. I promise!

This gorgeous book was a present from my parents. A book by fashion designer, Luella Bartley, on what encapsulates our original English style, the clothes, the icons and the ideology behind the English girl. It might be enough to get satisfaction from just looking at it, but it has already been flicked through thoroughly, primed for complete exposure.

I have always admired the quirky jewellery inspired by the Scrabble game, from full name necklaces to simple letters for rings. Always wanting a name necklace after lusting after Carrie's in Sex and the City, my simple but different white on black gift is perfect. (and doesn't give too much away about me)

After buying into a lot of Breton at late, it was refreshing to receive something stripy but different and more intense. The placement of line around the collar and buttons in contrast to the main body reminded me of an article in January Vogue about the way stripes can transform and shape the body. Championed especially by Prada, these manipulated stripes look fun on the dresses, tees and skirts, if not alluringly comical. Inspired by linear optic artworks I could readily walk out of my halls in such a miss mash of colour, direction and confusion...


Yet I could easily slip into this Jil Sander. Simple, classic and very versatile.

Lastly...
With the thought of turning 20 looming I decided with a little help from girlfriends and white wine, to do one last slightly crazy thing before the big day. So I went and got the top of my ear pierced! Being adamant that I would not get any more piercings than my two ears, this was a BIG THING! A rush of youth bundled into a tiny piece of metal, that I am reminded of with every accidental catch of a t-shirt or when I try to fall asleep on my left side.

No comments:

Post a Comment