Tuesday 10 August 2010

Go Wild

Now an Autumn/winter trend keeps popping up in my fashion round ups and emails that I either click or flick past. But now I have decided to face it.

Dear leopard print, are you friend or foe?

I have never been an adoring fan of this bold print and my wardrobe does not cage any major items that adorn it. After years of reincarnations by the high street where the leopard has been spread and patched over anything possible, it looses its appeal by becoming the indicator of cheap not chic. However the catwalk has returned from the wild determined to prove that a leopard can change its spots, but can it change our perception?

Roberto Cavalli went all out and did it head to toe. With an abundance of layers finishing off with floaty harem pants he has created a modern specimen reminiscent of a warrior woman, but with heels. I love this modern take on leopard print, blurred and washed out - you don't even realise its all over.




Then there is this coat by Gucci...


A-line... chic... and very grown up - need I say more?

Dolce and Gabbana's take on this trend is a little more generic parading large high street friendly prints. Channeled through the continuation of last seasons corsets, this season's blouse and grown up bag trends. But the twist? Teaming with other printed midi skirts takes the emphasis off the audacious leopard and more towards a bold eclectic ensemble.


With all these gorgeous options I feel I may convert to walk on the wild side, but it all depends on what I can hunt down on the high street. How to let it into our wardrobe without it attacking our style? This is not camouflage piece - it will hardly slip in unnoticed. But it seems the high street is very much embracing the leopard.


River Island fur coat £79.99

This faux fur leopard print coat from River Island is the high street answer to the Gucci coat above but it does not appeal to me. I am put off by the large black buttons and the long dangling pompoms. It just doesn't have the same grown up chic effect.

Topshop blouse £35

I tried this Topshop blouse on while on a recent browse through the shop to see if I could be tempted. To my surprise I thought the blouse looked good, but I could not bring myself to buy this piece, nor any other items. I just cannot invest largely in such a mini trend.

Although, there are a couple of small leopard print pieces already in my wardrobe. A subtle, well worn pair of flat pumps and a not so loved floaty mini skirt. The kind of piece that you always wonder 'why did I buy that?' Maybe this is a sign that accessories are the way to go...

My well loved leopard babies from Asos

Dolce and Gabbana's lovely furry grown up bag

Topshop's furry panel cross body bag £30

Large leopard print fold over clutch, River Island £29.99

The obvious accessory buy into this trend is the bag. I predict there will be many bags licked by leopard and these are the ones that have filtered through so far. Always lusting after the bags in River Island makes me lean towards the clutch with a modern contrast between the metal clasp and print. But it is too fussy when all you need from a bag this season is ladylike simplicity .The Topshop does not quite cut it as an alternative to the fuzzy Dolce & Gabbana. It imitates the boxy structure but the fake looking leather ruins the lush cosy fur panel.
Check Spelling
If fluffy but not leopard is what you are looking for then invest in this baby from ASOS...


... as fur is always fashionable

Robert Cavalli

Asos leopard print tights £8

Or I could get a touch of Roberto Cavalli by covering my legs in spots and clashing with other daring prints and create a truly opulent look. This seems to be this season's update on leopard print - flamboyance to accompany it. Or, rather is leopard print this season's update? When we are all stripping back and going minimal chic, the risky leopard seems like the remedy to the reduction. But is this daring big cat really suitable off the catwalk?

Now lets look at the more desirable little touches.

I glanced at a black blouse in Topshop with a collar embellished with leopard print. Subtle and simple and looked very chic. The perfect way to inject a little wild into the wardrobe if you, like me are scared of going full on.


I couldn't find a picture of the blouse but this is a similar styled one.

Now to the linings...

A lining in a piece can make it better. Think the luxury of a soft silk lined coat or the cosy quality of the inner shearling jacket. But not only can they feel good, they can look good. At Fendi, the ostentatious print decorated the inside of bags, left falling open to reveal.

Leopard linings at Fendi

Not sure if I would freely walk around with my bag open, but I am fond of the lining. A flash of of the plucky print every time you reach for you purse. The purrrrrfect understated answer to leopard print.

Even though I fear the print in large quantities, you have to admire its versatility. Take a look in any shop and you will find it packaged on leggings, linings and bags. But until I find a piece that I fall in love with the good old pumps will continue to be my paw into the trend.





No comments:

Post a Comment