Wednesday 28 July 2010

Man up

Over the recent seasons I have observed and been involved in a clothing role reversal.
Are we possibly on the brink of a revolution?

Males out there - I will trade one of my dresses for one of your jeans and tee combo!

Maybe this is a bit of a ridiculas notion. And yet, at the same time it is not so absurd. While us girls slip comfortably into baggy jeans and shirts, men's t-shirts seem to be getting tighter and tighter. Thanks to Topman our boys are limited to a uniform of skin hugging V necks and blood halting skinnies. On a recent shopping spree, my boyfriend came speeding back to me after separating for Topshop and Topman exclaiming 'the shops want to turn me into a woman.' But I had to agree. It was a solemn shopping day for him.

It is an entertaining idea, but I seriously doubt we are going to ever witness men readily striding in skirts like they do in check shirts which have bred over them. Yet, on the other side of the story, we women are continually dressing more like men. I, myself am guilty of following this inversion trend. But my question is - do we wear the clothes better?

I'll digress...

Since women decided to dress feminine and more like women, they then began to dress more like men. But then for equality, and now for the right to be fashionable. Think power suits with chin stroking shoulders. My own man wardrobe has been growing gradually. First with the boyfriend blazer, then the boyfriend jeans and more recently my shopping habits have even spread to the men's section. Not male style for women, but actual male clothes for women.

The latest male edition to my wardrobe is the baseball jacket. I have never been a great fan of the American sports style. Bright, electric hues adorn the football fields thrashing around in a heat of athleticism. It just seems so big, butch and brash. But then I found this gem in the male section of Primark.

My new baseball.

My love affair with this jacket began with this photograph in the July Issue of Vogue. This ageless issue celebrates style at any age and here is model Edie Campbell pictured in a red and black leather baseball jacket. She looks so effortlessly cool, admitting 'not bothering works a lot better.' She wears clothes that are 'on loan from her boyfriend.' Is this the answer to wardrobe worries? Can we just wear what our fellow males do to get that 'i just threw this on' feel that they do everyday when we can spend hours tweaking a look to try and achieve the same.

Edie in all her casual chic with playful ears by Topshop.

I will be routing this easy, casual style with my new jacket. I'll admit its not quite as cool as Edie's but at a mere £10 I was quite proud of my find. The fact that I found it in the men's section doesn't matter. Its broad manly shape adds to the relaxed look but requires some tiny, tiny shorts to balance it out a la Edie.

Lets take a look at some other yummy jackets...

Once again from the men's section, this American College Baseball jacket in a rich Burgandy caught my eye. With contrasting panelling in similar colours to my own baby. My boyfriend asked if he could pull off this of jacket. I had to say no. It would take some guy with style tomake this work. But when it comes to us girls - this would be easy!
http://www.asos.com/American-College/American-College-Burgandy-Baseball-Jacket/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1143995&SearchQuery=baseball%20jacket&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Burgandy



Now looking at a woman's wear take on this style. Not as Americanised. Not as heavy weight. It doesn't have that 'off the man' feel. Although check out the suede paneling - gorge!
http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Suede-Front-Baseball-Jacket/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1030075&SearchQuery=baseball%20jacket&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=GreyBrown

Take a look at this Isabel Marant Jacket, a feminine take on the male style jacket. Simple, clean lines and beautiful leather sleeves. It flows out elegantly, ridding the 'from a man' style. This is an example of not when men's clothes look better on women, but when our tailoring of their clothes just looks better.
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/77171?resType=single&keywords=baseball%20jacket

Now we are very accustomed to borrowing the odd hoody from our male friends for ease, but recently I have been toying with the idea of wearing men's boxers. No, not for weird sexual reasons and not those tight, bright novelty types. But some luxury ample ones would be perfect to layer under a long loose jumper, just peeping out the bottom. I don't know if I would ever have the 'balls' to actually wear these in public. They could be the answer to at-home sexy casual attire.

But for now, until I find the right ones these alternatives will satisfy my wonder...

These boxer-esque shorts from Topshop are great and practical (they have pockets). The rose tye dye effect is great to keep pushing the grunge trend.
http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=20&viewAllFlag=false&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&categoryId=209768&parent_category_rn=208529&productId=1773625&langId=-1

Then I came across these VPL Deltois shorts. Take note of the boxer style panelling with seam detail but floaty feminine and fabulous. Again mens style but better!
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/99226

Ever since I witnessed a breath taking fashion moment during an episode of Sex and the City the idea of running around in a mans shirt seems irresistible. Cinched with a simple belt, this look is so simple and yet so chic. I even found myself sifting through my boyfriend's ever so minimal wardrobe in search of the perfect shirt. The response I got wasn't so fairytale; 'no -that's my interview shirt!' But I will not be deterred, as it was confirmed by one of my good male friends that we girls do look better in a man's shirt then men do.

But is there a way it which we will not have to beg, borrow and steal anymore?

Meet Equipment...
A line of menswear style women's shirts, revived for Spring/ Summer 2010 - excellent!

A beautiful crisp white shirt by Equipment with large breast pockets . Teamed with cut off high waisted denim shorts. Pure casual shirting wonder.













No comments:

Post a Comment