Monday 5 July 2010

Maxed Out?

The maxi dress has been the must have item for this summer. Championed by every shop on the high street for women of all ages. I see them everywhere from the beach to nights out even at gigs. Maxi at gigs, is that wise? Nothing feels more glamorous then when you walk into a room dressed in one of these floor length babies, even if in the tight ones you have to waddle a bit.

But when they are everywhere, I want something different. So where next from the maxi?

Styling is the key for a new take on maxi length. Designers for a/w 10 have unearthed a new trend of collaborating knitwear with evening elegance. Sometimes tight sometimes slouchy, sweaters were layered over sweeping floor length skirts. The deep opulent hues of purples, blues and reds worked the best, continuing to the floor with the skirts always looking glam whether with billowing volume from Louis Vutton or loose and flowing like from Dolce and Gabbana. But instead of investing in a new skirt when I student funds, I am experimenting with layering my existing knitwear with my existing maxi dress. I cheap way to update my maxi look by wrapping up in winter warms. Just make sure the skirt half looks glam.

Dries Van Noten in the Vogue catwalk report caught my eye with a variation on this trend. Layering a very slouchy almost t-shirt shaped sweat over a rich purple skirt with a subtle darker print infused. This designer had the more youthful look of the page of the supplement, so I thought layering a t-shirt over a maxi dress or skirt may allow this trend to sweep into daytime casual.


I can imagine myself meeting my girl friends for lunch wearing a long skirt and rocking a tee. I think I would want my skirt to be loose and flowing in a bleached purple and I would layer over my Amplified Rolling stones t-shirt or maybe one of my more oversized tees from the men's section in Primark would work better, lending towards the large knits of the catwalk.


Definitely day time chic!

No comments:

Post a Comment