Thursday 1 July 2010

Back to Black

After sorting through my clothes, my wardrobe now slightly smaller and less compact. I surveyed the array of my organisation, t-shirts, dresses, jackets. But I noticed that the predominant colours of my wardrobe are blacks and greys. I have so many! Countless times before shopping trips, I vowed to not indulge in my apparent favorite cool shades, but alas it obviously fails.

During a recent shopping spree, I noticed that other women embrace my passion for blacks and greys, then I noticed that every woman around me was sporting some kind of grey or black ensemble. Some head to toe, some combining it with more colourful items, but mainly doused in dreary colours. Its the height of summer, where is the colour? But then, looking down at my own attire, in the middle of BOOTS, I realised that I had succumbed to this dark infection. I was looking at my tight black leggings, layered over with a simple grey marl dress with a darker grey open zipped hoodie for ease. Even my shoes were grey, but with a coppery tint that has grown with wear. My nails; the only thing colourful about my look, a slightly chipped girly rose hue.

'But grey is cool,' I thought to myself during the moment in BOOTS. The steely greys, softened in sports luxe by Alexander Wang caught my eye this season. Even though described as 'investment pieces' I can't afford them just yet even after rationing my purchases of random Primark crap. Although I do own a pair of long grey athletic socks which I should really wear more often.



What is it about black and grey that is so irresistible to us? For me black is the essence of chic, strong against my pale complexion and light blond hair. No other colour is sexier, think Catwoman!

However, on a recent night out, middle aged women in their uniform of black trousers and a low black tops as clubbing gear, grinding to a cheesy disco was almost enough to cure my addiction. While witnessing this cringe-worthy display, I looked at my own gear. The same grey marl dress and shoes, but dressed up with a super colour blazer. I was glad I did not opt for my blacks that night. I felt poised and confident in my one of a kind jacket. Bring back some colour I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment