Sunday 11 July 2010

Is it time to cover up yet?

Before we know it the new season will be upon us. It is hard to think about what I will be wearing in a few months when now the sun still occasionally shines while I bask in aviator sunnies and short shorts. Alas it will soon be time to cover my sun kissed legs and pull on jumpers, presently dormant in the bottom of my wardrobe. But as I flick through the a/w Vogue round up, I can envisage the dream key items that will get me through the cold and dark coming months.

A cape will fall loosely around my shoulders as I walk to class. Not too showy, just minimalist and youthful. But enough to shield me from the rain that will no doubt plague our winter days. I do hope the high street will have the answer to Carolina Harrera's camel cape, so I can cosy up in warm hues.

Carolina Harrera camels up

Topshop camel cape

The most promising lead I have found is this Topshop minimalist creation above, embellished with an understated military look without taking away the loose casual feel. Topshop follows the way of the catwalk, with many designers abandoning their sleeves and allowing them to hang freely; the answer to easy throw on elegance. My eye will definitely be looking out for this towards the colder months.

If I can let go of my favorite jeans and leggings winter uniform I could imagine my legs wrapped in loose and fluid fabric in the form of trousers swishing away. But I am not convinced yet. We wear skinnies and leggings to compliment our assets. Why swamp our gorgeous pins? If you are not ready to ready to let go of the tight; go for the grown up skinny of the winter. The cigarette trouser.

Mulberry's cigarettes in a rich caramel hue

According to designers our girls are heading to outside adventures this winter, and if we are encased in layers of white stuff as of last January we will definitely be kitted out for it. The catwalks were array with large knits, autumnal colours, sheepskin, furs and luxurious tweeds. The staple item for this look is the shearling jacket, the best in blacks and caramels with sheep's wool trimming. Below is one of my favorites by Reed Krakoff. Its its simple oversized style captures the essence of this trend paired with a large knit.

Reed Krakoff goes to the country

I will be looking for my own twist on this, starting with the charity shops to try and find the real thing: used, weathered and beaten is after all the inspiration for the trend, taking my country gal roots to the city. Before I find this treasure, I will work this trend with these cable knit grey tights. Thigh high and a fabulous way to nurse shorts into this winters wardrobe.

Be knit-tastic this winter!

But is all this a bit too soon? Are we ready to say goodbye to the summer yet? I'm not. This in between stage is always hard to fill. Yet Vogue has come to the rescue, pointing me towards a pre-season trend. I have already expressed my boredom of the maxi, so look a few inches north and welcome the midi. Show a bit of leg with these middle length skirts instead of the cover-alls we are so used to.

Midi lengths opted for by these designers

Inspired by this new hemline, I bought a simple tubular grey marl maxi skirt from ASOS. Yes it is grey, but you can't argue when it looks so look. It is so versatile with its colour and shape. The grey allows easy styling, as anything goes. The maxi length means I can wear the skirt high up my body to then team with crops, or short length jumpers. The shorter length allows me to accessorise with flats, or my army/worker style boots for a tough edge to the mumsie style skirt. Or I can go glam on this simple piece with my new heels and various jewellery to spice it up. We may not be ready to cover up completely yet but this baby will be perfect for the rest of the summers evenings and the not so sunny days.

Easily dressed down with the boots!

This skirt is a great way to ease me into the winter, but with all these gorgeous coats and capes that will cover the high street walls, it may not be a problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment