Wednesday 14 July 2010

Nail it!

I often browse fashion blogs, posting sites and online stores to find an idea for a new look. A new way of styling my existing clothes: a sort of recycling you could say. But very often I am without the beautiful clothes in the shoots and without anything slightly similar. And without extensive funds. So I am back, stuck looking at my wardrobe day after day waiting for inspiration. Even when I am not planning on leaving the house, I still struggle. I just still want to feel glam, even though there is no one to appreciate it.

It is hard when you live so remotely. There is just no one to appreciate good fashion. My Dad laughs at my beloved ripped jeans, while sporting a sorry look on his face. 'You should take those jeans back, they're broken', I can remember him saying while I tried to ignore him.

But back to my problem. Its great when you can find an easy and cheap way to update your style. Take nail polish for instance. Last winter my friend and I lusted, green with envy, after Karl Lagerfeld's collection for Chanel in which a jade green hue accompanied the clothes on models and mannequins nails. So much so we wrote an article about it and our other musings on varnish. In our fashion brains, grey was the new black and pale jade green the must do colour. When I catch a glimpse of my tainted talons I feel a twinge of glamour, knowing that the flash of colour running through my hair looks so chic.

So imagine my excitement when I spied a new shade in the Topshop press images. This icy shade makes a such statement against the summer accessories that I made it my mission to find an equivalent. There amongst the summery colours in Boots was the one I was looking for. Mint Choc Chip by Barry M. Although it wasn't straight forward. I had to venture to a larger shopping area to find this quirky shade.


The first time I painted in this shade was before a gig, having had to wait a few days until I finished my weeks shifts at work. Chipped nail vanish just isn't the same after all. It looked so strong when I placed my hands near the black chiffon blouse I was wearing to see Calvin Harris: I can remember looking up at my hands as I danced and seeing shots of the icy colour. The blue is so different: the antidote to the hot weather. It felt so refreshing amongst the usual reds and pinks that so many nails are plastered with, and that I am guilty of. I'm glad I got some colour on before the winter comes, when glossy naturals will be on my nails instead.

I do wonder what my Dad thought of my quirky colour style update?

No comments:

Post a Comment